Saturday, October 29, 2005

Because of Winn Dixie

Yes...Because of Winn Dixie! I know, it's a kid's movie. And it's about a girl and her dog. But in having 2 kids of my own, we were watching the movie version last night. It is quite good, and in the middle of the movie Opal, the main character, is given a tin of candy called "Litmus Lozenges". The story surrounding the way the candy was made is important, but not for this post (see the movie or read the book), but whomever Opal gives a Lozenge to, comments that it is "sweet and sad at the same time". Then Opal says something very profound regarding her life and how it relates to the candy..."It's sweet and sad all mixed together, and it's impossible to separate them."

...and this got me to thinking. Isn't life exactly that way? Sometimes sweet one minute and sad the very next moment? Isn't it at the times we feel on top of the world, that we feel the most alone? Then I'm reminded that we are in a world crying out for completion, perfection, and love that only God can bring, and that in those feelings of sweetness and sadness, our heart is actually yearning to relate to our Creator. He wants us to share those feelings with Him. And as I realize this, I realize that I am never alone...that He is right here with me, feeling those same things. In a trivial, human way...isn't that feeling of sweet and sad what He felt at Calvary? And then I realized that God was speaking to me through a "Kids Movie". How cool is that? Thanks God for taking the time to watch that movie last night with us...had a great time!

Brent

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ok so apparently I need to see the movie! I had an awesome time last night! Thank you so much for amazing Chinese food and a great first time ever visit to BOSTON! =P

I will try to be around a little this week... as you know I love spending time with you guys... or at least I hope you know that!

oh and by the way... "blah blah blah... ha ha ha... blah blah blah"
(Thanks for the great new ring tone)

10:14 AM  
Blogger thankful4adoption.blogspot.com said...

"Then I am reminded that we are in a world crying out for completion..."

It is crazy to me that we can be surrounded by people, yet totally alone or at the peak of success, yet find life meaningless. Christians and non-christians alike seem to want to find completion in another person or social status...yet we cannot be made whole a part from Christ. No wonder we are let down so often. We have so many expectations from ourselves, our family, our friends, and our jobs that only God can meet...life would be so much "sweeter" and less "sad" if we went to God to make us whole long before we went to each other.

This world is crying out for completion...thank you uncle brent. =) (8 more weeks!!)

12:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks!

6:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

at least your commenting on other people... but i was thinking an update might be in order?!?!

11:53 PM  
Blogger Bee said...

Um...october...yeah, that was last year man. u should update and share wisdom or...something like that. i dunno

5:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

5 months brent... 5! I think the world needs some knowledge or at least a new veiw to look through... =) UPDATE!

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home