Friday, July 29, 2005

Be Careful What You Read...

In my last post I commented on a book I am reading called "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller. In the comments to my post there was a lot of agreement about what was written by him, but also some disagreement. I think this is good, I don't usually agree with everything I read, and it is sometimes this disagreement the makes me think all the more. In her comments of disagreement on this book I am recommending, JillVerrier stated that the book was "full of nuggets, unfortunately you had to choke on the pages junk to get to the good stuff."

Pretty strong words, and I do agree with her in that there are things in Donald Millers writing that I disagree with...But I think the point of the book as a whole is just that! How many people who call themselves Christians in this consumer culture of ours, see the "Pages of Junk" in peoples lives and never try to look past that to the "Nuggets" of truth that lie within?
  • Why aren't our hearts aching for the people we come in contact with every day who are hurting and lost and by putting on an air of self-confidence are really just crying out to be loved by us?
  • Why do we close our hearts to the Pandemic need of the Africa AIDS Crisis? Where one person dies every 15 seconds, not the weak and the frail, but (pardon my frankness) the sexually active who are usually the adult men and women of society.
  • By 2010 UNAIDS estimates there will be a grand total of 107 million orphans in the world - virtually no change there - but a mind-numbing 25 million of them will be orphans of AIDS. That's 23.7% of all orphans
  • There are 34 million orphans in Africa, of whom 11 million are believed to be orphans of AIDS. One third of Africa's orphans, or about one child in 20 overall, has lost his or her parents to HIV
  • The global number of orphans due to AIDS is going to double in a decade, if we don't look past the pages of junk and see the people that Christ came to love, dying with no hope at all!

Finally I want to say that JillVerrier is a very good friend of mine, and when she says "It is so real that everyday I walk by demon possessed men and women living on the streets because they were "free" and didn't care what others said. Because they were "just being who they are". She means it! She is one person whom I know is looking for the nuggets in everyone she comes in contact with! In fact, she has laid down her life for these precious little ones, and IS making a difference every day in their lives, so when she comments strongly like she did, it really makes me stand up and take notice! So thank you Jill for reminding me through your comments to be more like Christ, and look for the "Nuggets" in everyone, just as He did in me!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

COOL.... I can't wait till Jan 2007....=) hopefully that is when God will open up the opportunity to go! =)

12:56 AM  
Blogger jen said...

great post brent....

2:40 PM  
Blogger thankful4adoption.blogspot.com said...

you are due for a new post!! Now that I don't get to hear all your words of wisdom while I am brushing my teeth every night...I look even more forward to reading your posts! I'm Brent-deprived. =)

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home